How to improve your cardiovascular health
With heart disease being the biggest killer of men and women in this country, it is time for everyone to take a closer look at their lives. A good self-analysis can help you to see what bad habits you have that might put you at risk of perpetuating this scary statistic. If you are ready to make some positive changes to this end, then this article will help you see how to improve your cardiovascular health.
The word ‘diet’ is not very well liked, even if the food you eat really can affect your heart for good and bad. What we want to suggest here is to not think of eating healthy as a temporary thing. The change you make to eat well should not last only until you hit a goal weight.
We feel that the best way to protect your heart and reverse poor diet related issues is to make the choice now to eat a healthy lifestyle. The following is a list of excellent heart-healthy foods that will help you stay fit and will improve your cardiovascular health:
- Legumes (beans)
- Eggs, especially the whites
- Lean meats
As you can see, this is quite a long list, and includes some very delicious items. A healthy life-style in no way means that you can’t eat well. It simply means that you can live longer, be more active, feel better, and still have delicious food every day.
Many studies have shown that those who live a sedentary lifestyle are at much higher risk of heart issues than those who can move around. Getting just 250 steps in for every hour you are awake is enough to lessen your risk of heart issues by almost 60%. That is how to keep fit without devoting too much time.
The following is a list of some great ways for you to hit these active lifestyle goals on a daily basis:
- Drink more water. This will force you to get up to refill your water bottle, and will also make you walk to the bathroom more often. These little breaks can get you to that 250 step/hour goal.
- Get out for lunch. Don’t stay at your desk. Even if you bring your food from home, take the time to walk around and go somewhere other than your cubicle.
- Take the stairs when possible. Skip the elevator and climb the stairs when you have the time. This is one of the best exercises for cardiovascular health.
- Park at the back of the lot. Whether you are heading to the grocery store, the office, a restaurant, or the post office, park as far away from the site as possible.
Get Real Exercise
The aforementioned tips are good ways to convert some of your more inactive times to better levels of activity. In addition to that, however, you need to carve out some time for real exercise. Running and lifting weights are the fastest way to shed weight, but you don’t want to push yourself too hard too fast. If you feel that running and lifting are not wise options for you, then we suggest trying some of the lower impact machines available at your local gym.
A recumbent exercise bike is a great option for those unable to run or lift weight. It offers a full-body workout without putting too much strain on your joints.
Ellipticals are another good way to get some low-impact exercise that won’t harm your knees and back.
The best cardiovascular exercise for you will depend on your goals, your abilities, and your preferences.
Taking these steps to improve your cardiovascular health will create some amazing changes, and will open up some incredible opportunities for you. Now is the time to take this seriously.